Thursday, June 14, 2012

Uganda bound baby...part dos!

"If my life is surrendered to God, all is well. Let me not grab it back, as though it were in peril in His hand but would be safer in mine!" ~ Elisabeth Elliot

Dearest friends, I have safely made it to Uganda. After months of preparation it still seems very surreal to me that I am here. The journey to Uganda, was rough but worth it. I last ended with my time in London. So what happened after that? Please take a moment to see what my Pops did from London to Entebbe.

A couple of hours before I hopped on the last flight I allowed an elderly gentleman, from Israel, to use the UK outlet converter I had brought with me. Once he was finished using it he started to hand it back to me and proceeded to ask questions about my life. As I began to answer, a Ugandan man was walking past, overheard the conversation, and stopped to join us. For the next hour we three sat and laughed at miscommunication, discussed education, different journeys, hardships, and politics. The most important conversation we happened to have was about the Savior we three share. Please understand why this is beautiful to me. An Israelite, a converted Muslim, and a Southern Baptist all sitting, as the world is literally passing by, discussing the One true King...and it all started with an outlet converter.

Once on the plane, I had the opportunity to meet missionaries from everywhere that were headed out here to Uganda, to serve where my Pops has asked them to. It was so interesting to hear how they ended up in that spot and what each were hoping to see Him do.

Thankfully, the last leg of the journey was overnight so I was able to sleep a bit and when I woke up I watched the sunrise as we began to land in Entebbe. Once landed, it was "hit the ground running" with African culture. I grabbed my luggage and found Ricky, my cab driver, waiting for me to bring me to my host home here in Kampala. I praise my Pops for His protection during this time. Just envision Houston traffic on very small roads, with people walking everywhere, and bodas (motorcycles) swerving in and out. Oh and all of this as we are driving on the opposite side of the road. After that trip I will forever trust Ricky and his driving.

So now I am here in the main part of Kampala. Since Tuesday, I have had orientation and a bit of time to get settled. I officially go out to the school on Friday to move into my house and meet the students. This is what I am looking forward to the most!!

Fun things:
-new foods
-getting to see wild monkeys
-meeting lots of other missionaries with AIM
-learning a bit of Lugandan (they actually don't speak Swahili here)
-figuring out the money system and paying with a different currency

Prayer Requests:
-for a normal sleep pattern-I am not adjusting to the time change that well
-for my first day of work at the school
-that I would pick up more of the native language

A few pictures!!



Part of Kampala


At the AIM office


3 comments:

  1. I read this blogs with tears of joy, pride and such gratitude that Pops has protected you, kept you safely in His hands! Your words create images of the such an amazing time and place and I cherish them!
    I love you & miss you more than words can say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and the tears make it hard to spell :)

      Delete
  2. Ashley, your mom says it all. I am so proud to be a part of your extended family and I take great pleasure in telling everyone of your wonderful works for your Pops! Sending my love and prayers for you and the little ones you are helping......Aunt Deanie

    ReplyDelete