Monday, August 6, 2012

He is....good!

"You get a strange feeling when you are about to leave a place, like you'll not only miss the people you love but you'll miss the person you are now at this time and place because you'll never be this way ever again."                                    ~Azar Nafisi

Some few months ago the Lord revealed to me that I would be going to Uganda for 2 months. From that moment of finding out I began to pray for this place. For the children, my co-workers, and overall for what God would do, knowing that no matter what happened it would be beautiful. I was ridiculous in thinking that I could even begin to imagine what He had up his robe sleeve!

Dearest friends, this will be my last blog post this side of Uganda. In a couple of days I will be making the trek back to the great country state of Texas. I haven't even left yet and I already miss this place. Sounds silly, I know, but it's true. The past couple of days I have been cleaning and packing, as well as saying farewell to different folks. In the midst of all of it I continuously ask for my Pops to be my comforter. I ask Him to help me to not take moments for granted and to invest in the lives around me, fully, up until I step onto that plane.


Throughout this entire summer I have had the opportunity to see life in a whole new way. I have lived among folks who, in every aspect, live differently than I do. Two months of trading every day comforts in exchange for situations that now are hilarious to think back on. I have gotten sick, twice, and have had a not so fun case of a worm. My name Ashley no longer exists but I rejoice in the excitement of being called a Muzungu…..most of the time. Many adventures have come my way and there have been individuals that I have met that I am certain have made a forever impact on my life.  Then there are my students who daily represented Christ WELL. On top of this, my Pops opened the door for me to meet my Compassion daughter, who I’m pretty sure fully possess my heart now and boy do I miss her! Phew, do I miss her!

It would be very easy for me to go on and when you see me I’ll have hundreds of stories to share, but the most important thing that I want people to know is what  my King has taught me while being here. It’s the simplest yet most complicated thing to understand. That God is good. I don’t mean “this ice-cream is good” or “wow, that was a good episode of The Bachelor.” I mean the Creator of all things is in the most beautiful, purest, passionate way…good.

That should be a simple enough concept, but along with so many other followers, I have found that I make it very difficult. As I have journeyed through the summer God has made me evaluate whether or not I believe in His goodness and the work He is doing. To take in life here, outside of my comfort zone, to see things that I don’t understand & that break my heart and still say He is good.

I must confess and say this was not an easy task. The journey here has been difficult. The students at Kireka test you every single moment of the day. I have seen children digging through trash for food and have met many that have been abandoned by their parents. I have mourned with my co-worker as she lost her whole family and have faced parents that I have become so angry with because of their lack of responsibility. There is sickness and poverty and many days it became overwhelming. But yet He is still good.

He is good because His word declares it and I trust His word. Many moments it was fully depending on faith without sight, but because I trust in His goodness I know that He is present.

 When I would trust Him to strip my spoiled, American eyesight, He would go above and beyond to show me this.  He is present in my students’ laughter. He is present when one student protects another. He is present when another family adopts an abandoned child. He is present when those hungry children can reach for mangos that have been abundantly provided and He is present when an entire village comes together to bring comfort. He is present.

Two months flew by and even now I know that He has not revealed all of what He wants me to know about this chapter. I treasure that because this is a place that I will not forget. So months and years from now when I look back or when I visit, I will be listening for His reminders of what He has done and what He is doing. I will miss this place terribly but as I head across the pond I find complete rest in knowing that the King of Kings loves these people, is present, and is good.

Thank you for following me during my time in Uganda. Your prayers and encouragement are appreciated more than you may ever know. I look forward to coming home and I pray that I reflect my Pops a bit more than when I left.

I encourage you folks that are reading this to step out and allow God to challenge you outside of your comfort zone. To trust Him to do a work on you and I guarantee it will be a beautiful journey. 

Alrighty, now for you to meet my Compassion Child. Be prepared, she's adorable!!


My dear Agnes, 7 1/2 years old (gotta add the half)


Gifts from Granny
Her friends



My Ugandan Family
Having to say "see you later"

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I agree with your mom, beautiful!!! I am speechless except to say that you are truly a blessing. I will once again share your blog on my page and pray that maybe just one person will read it and be moved to do something bigger than we are!!! Safe travels back across the pond! You know how I feel about all that water, but I know God will be with you! Love you, see ya!!! Aunt Deanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed talking to you today and hope to see you in Walmart soon! Ron

    ReplyDelete