Saturday, July 7, 2012

dancing ALWAYS makes it better

“Life is an opportunity, benefit from it. Life is beauty, admire it. Life is a dream, realize it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a duty, complete it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a promise, fulfill it. Life is sorrow, overcome it. Life is a song, sing it. Life is a struggle, accept it. Life is a tragedy, confront it. Life is an adventure, dare it. Life is luck, make it. Life is too precious, do not destroy it. Life is life, fight for it.” 
                                                                                                                             ― Mother Teresa
The students were literally running everywhere. They knew it was Friday. They weren't staying in class and if they were they weren't actually participating. Some students were taking wheelchairs of their friends so they could play with them. Others were chasing each other or fighting. After about 30mins of this one of the teachers comes out with a CD player and turns on some African music. Literally they all stopped what they were doing and ran to where the player was and started dancing. In a split second it was as if I was in another place with a different set of students. After the initial shock of this wave of transformation, I began to watch and soak in the scene. My students were happy. They were laughing and having dance offs (competing to see who had the best moves).For the children that were deaf, their friends showed them how fast or slow the music was going. Those in wheelchairs, others would play with them so they weren't left out. The "macho" students were tapping their feet a bit and even the toddlers showed off their skills. 

As I was watching my students I realized that I was at my halfway point here at the school. See school ends almost a week before I leave. Halfway point! That's not possible, but sure enough it's the mark I have reached. So I just sat and took in the time that I knew was already passing by too quickly. And then.....I danced with them.

Life at Kireke School is blessed. Beyond blessed. I have adjusted to the culture, for the most part, and am even picking up on quite a bit of Luganda, which is surprising to me. My days are now filled with a some-what normal routine with my students.The teachers have become protective of me and we are forming actually friendships full of discussions and laughter. I have figured out who's scream belongs to whom, as well as what it means, and the ways I need to adjust my teaching to fit my students. I daily see their personalities come out and am often amazed at the way my Pops reflects Himself through them.


Outside of school I am learning my way around my area of Uganda. Just yesterday, I described to the boda, boda (motorcycle driver) how to get to where I lived. **insert a bit of info- to give directions you have to tell them the city, the main street, and a building that is well known. Then once you are near it you direct the boda from there. He ended up taking a back road and I still knew where I was and was able to direct him. I was pretty proud of myself. I am learning how to bargain and which markets to purchase the best food. And even the children surrounding my school no longer call me Muzungu, but actually call me Madam.

My Pops is at work here, there is no doubt about that and again, I say that I am broken by the fact that He would bless me with the journey of being here. I am extremely grateful for these past weeks but am looking forward to the next weeks and watching my King show off in the beautiful way that He does.

Prayer Requests:
-that I would be an encouragement to the other teachers
-that I would boldly take on challenges and trust in His will
-that my students would continue to really learn and understand that they are loved by the most amazing King.


Hanging out during lunch


with Teacher Rona

4 comments:

  1. Another beautiful scene we "witness" through your words! Not only are you a blessing to those there, but to those of us at home too!
    Love you & I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for giving us a glimpse into your life, blessings, challenges and walk with God. i love you dearly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another wonderful look into a life most of us could never imagine....you are truly doing God's,excuse me, "Pops" work......:) Love you, Aunt Deanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Ashley, for scooping me in with your words and giving me a sample of Life there. I celebrate. Thanks be to God. And I am impressed with your navigational skills!

    Love,
    Shawn

    ReplyDelete